Applying for Building Permit
When is a permit required?
The best way to find out if you need a permit is by contacting the Building Division at 831-304-0333. Discuss your proposed project with the building division staff before beginning work to determine whether you need a permit. Even if a permit is not needed, we can answer construction and renovation questions and may provide valuable advice that can save you time and money in the long run.
Work that requires a permit;
- New Commercial Buildings
- New Residential Buildings
- Additions and remodels for Commercial & Residential buildings
- New installations or Replacement of Electrical Service, Gas Piping, Water Heaters, HVAC & Windows
- Repair or Replace Roofing
- New Pools & Spas
- Pool & Spa renovations
- Patio Covers, Decks and Sheds (Please call our office as exemptions may apply depending on size)
Before you Apply for New Commercial Buildings & Residential Planned Development
We encourage you to call or visit our offices before submitting your permit application. We will answer your questions and let you know if your proposed project is within the City’s development guidelines. You may be referred to other staff members to determine if your project will require any Planning approvals before you can proceed with the building permit process.
If your project will require approval through a planning process, you must file a separate planning application and pay required fees to the Planning Department. Planning fees are separate from building permit fees. Planning approvals must be granted before proceeding with application for a building permit.
We also recommend that you reach out to the following departments to determine if there will be any special requirements; Public Works Department, Development Engineering, Fire Department, and/or the Health Department.
Two Ways to Apply for Building Permits
Apply for a building permit with the Building Division is fast and easy and we have provided you with two ways of applying.
1. Apply In-Person
Visit our offices at 599 El Camino Real.
- Between 8:30 am to 12 we welcome walk-in visits to the Building Counter for over the counter permits.
- Between 1:00 pm to 4:30 pm. This time frame is reserved for appointments for larger projects requiring plan submittal: such as New Construction, Tenant Improvements, Additions and Remodels and plan review resubmittals. Schedule an appointment by contacting Raquel Mays in our Building department at 831-304-0333.